Area Rug | Maintenance
Smart, regular care and upkeep will keep your area rugs looking great, and your home looking as beautiful, stylish and unique as ever. Check out the following advice and be a little smarter about smart and stylish, colorful and captivating, area rugs.
- Don’t avoid walking on your area rugs!
- You should vacuum or sweep your rug as you would wall-to-wall carpeting.
- Rotate your rug 180 degrees every few months, or every year, depending on traffic patterns.
- All parts of the rug should be exposed to an equal amount of traffic so that the pile wears evenly.
- A water spill should be dried immediately with a hairdryer set on a warm temperature.
- Have your rug washed by a professional every 2 to 5 years depending on the amount of traffic on the rug.
- Do not take your rug to general carpet-cleaning companies.
- Consult with your retailer about the proper padding to be placed under your rug.
- If the rug is to be stored for a long time in a place without exposure to light or air, first vacuum or broom it.
- When considering repairing a rug, factor in the cost of repair in comparison to the value of the rug.